Beef Bourguignon (or “Boeuf Bourguignon”) is a bucket checklist recipe that’s surprisingly simple to make at house! Fall-apart tender beef simmered in a wealthy purple wine sauce, this conventional French Burgundy beef stew is a meal you’ll keep in mind.
A number of years in the past, we booked a last-minute journey to Europe, and I lived out my dream to eat conventional beef Bourguignon within the area the place it was created, Burgundy, France.
And I even had a glass (or extra) of Burgundy wine to pair with it. How fortunate am I?!
In case you’re not conversant in this basic French recipe, right here’s what it is advisable know:
- Boeuf Bourguignon is pronounced “booff boar-gone-yawn.”
- It interprets to “Burgundy Beef” (“beouf” is French for “beef” and “Bourguignon” is French for “Burgundian”).
- Boeuf Bourguignon consists of beef (normally a tricky, cheap lower like chuck), purple wine, beef inventory, carrots, aromatics like garlic and onion, pearl onions, mushrooms, and bacon.
- It tastes sturdy, comforting, velvety, and sophisticated—consider Beef Burgundy because the French equal of basic Beef Stew, with the purple wine angle of Braised Quick Ribs.
5 Star Assessment
“That is AMAZING! It made me really feel like an actual French chef. My home smelled sooo good the entire time it was cooking too!”
— Nicole —
About Beef Bourguignon
Beef Bourguignon is particular, in the way in which of lengthy, slow-simmering soups and stews made with humble, significant components.
- It cooks for hours, like a superb Crockpot Beef Stew or Beef Barley Soup, rewarding your endurance.
- It displays the components of the land the place it originates. Purple wine for which Burgundy is known for is used within the recipe.
- It turns humble components like cheap beef and carrots into one thing actually spectacular.
Tacky because it sounds, if I might put it merely, I’d say beef Bourguignon tastes like love.
Learn how to Make The Greatest Beef Bourguignon
Ever since we returned from Burgundy, I’ve wished to recreate beef Bourguignon, however with a Properly Plated twist.
I wished to make it accessible to house cooks by streamlining the components and decreasing the cook dinner time.
No offense to the masters, however I discovered Julia Little one’s unique boeuf Bourguignon and Ina Garten’s model each left me wishing for extra greens to stability the meat.
- I doubled up on the carrots and mushrooms, a transfer all of my style testers appreciated.
- I eliminated components that weren’t important to making a profitable, conventional dish I’d proudly serve to any of the great Burgundy wine makers we met.
This recipe takes time, however the steps are easy.
If ever there have been an simple beef Bourguignon recipe, that is it!
- Chuck Roast. Chuck roast is the most effective lower of beef for beef Bourguignon. Full of protein, it turns into tantalizingly tender throughout cooking however nonetheless retains its taste.
- Bacon. Beef Bourguignon with out bacon simply isn’t the identical! It provides an additional layer of savory goodness that’s completely scrumptious.
- Mushrooms. A unbelievable addition to beef dishes like this one (and Prompt Pot Beef Stroganoff).
- Butter. Provides richness to the dish and helps thicken the gravy (plus, it’s French!).
- Purple Wine. In cooking, Bourguignon means “cooked in purple wine,” which is what we’re doing on this recipe. It intensifies the flavour and helps tenderize the meat throughout cooking. A dry purple wine is greatest.
- Carrots. Tender, tasty carrots add great colour and taste. Wealthy in fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin A, carrots are additionally a nutritious addition.
- Onions. A mixture of yellow onions and frozen pearl onions add taste and texture. Onion and French-cuisine lovers will take pleasure in this basic French Onion Soup too!
- Tomato Paste. Helps to create a simmered all day taste in a fraction of the time. (This trick can be used on this Crock Pot Hamburger Soup.)
- Thyme. For an earthy, herby taste.
- Beef Broth. Accentuates the meat taste and provides depth.
- All-Goal Flour. Helps thicken the stew.
- Minimize the meat chuck into 1-inch cubes. Dry and season the meat.
- Cook dinner the bacon, then take away it to a plate. Sauté the mushrooms and butter within the pot with the bacon drippings. Take away to a plate.
- Sear the meat till browned on all sides. Switch beef to the plate with the bacon. Repeat with any remaining beef. Stir in about 1/4 of the wine.
- Sauté the carrots and onions. Add garlic cloves and tomato paste. Return the meat and bacon to the pot. Pour within the remaining wine and broth.
- Lay the sprigs of thyme on high. Let simmer. Cowl and bake beef Bourguignon at 250 levels F for 1 hour and quarter-hour.
- Return the pot to the stovetop. Mash the butter and flour collectively, then add the combination to the pot.
- Add the pearl onions and remaining mushrooms. Deliver to a boil, then let simmer. Take away the thyme. DIG IN!
Pair this beef Bourguignon with a purple Burgundy (best option!). Or, strive a full-bodied pinot noir, merlot, or cabernet sauvignon.
Learn how to Serve Beef Bourguigon
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm beef Bourguignon in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, lower the meat, bacon, carrots, onion, and garlic as directed. Retailer every individually within the fridge.
You can also make this whole dish a day forward; rewarm gently earlier than serving.
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Dutch Oven. I exploit my 5.5 quart to make a Le Creuset beef Bourguignon recipe, however you should use any model of Dutch oven you want; STAUB is nice too.
- Picket Spoon. Helps scape up all of the scrumptious browned bits from the pot.
- Further Giant Slicing Board. Loads of room for reducing the entire components on this recipe.
The following time you want a particular meal, I hope you do this boeuf Bourguignon recipe.
It’s a wealthy pot of slow-simmered love, and you’ll style that love in each chew!
Regularly Requested Questions
Certainly one of my favourite issues about this recipe is the leftovers. Beef Bourguignon is a type of recipes that’s even higher the subsequent day (and the day after that). Serve leftovers on a mattress of pasta, potatoes, or rice for a hearty and comforting meal.
The wine is what offers this recipe its namesake. In case you omit the wine, it gained’t have fairly the identical richness or authenticity. In case you should go away it out, extra beef broth could be substituted for purple wine.
Sure. Beef Bourguignon is a hearty, basic French stew that ought to have a wealthy, luscious, and thick consistency. In case you’re discovering your Bourguignon to be a bit skinny, let it simmered uncovered a bit longer to let the stew cut back additional.
I’ve not tried to make this recipe as a sluggish cooker or stress cooker, so it could be an experiment. In case you determine to mess around, I’d love to listen to about your outcomes.
The distinction between beef stew and beef Bourguignon is whether or not or not the stew comprises wine from Burgundy. Traditional beef stew recipes (like my Prompt Pot Beef Stew) don’t have to incorporate wine (and in the event that they do, it may be from wherever), however beef Bourguignon at all times does. Additional, beef Bourguignon is often thickened with a mixture of flour and butter mashed collectively, whereas different stews don’t essentially use this methodology.
In different phrases, all beef Bourguignons are beef stew, however not all beef stews are beef Bourguignon.
- 2 1/4 kilos boneless chuck roast lower into 1-inch items
- 4 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt plus extra to style
- 2 teaspoons floor black pepper plus extra to style
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon lower into items (5 to six ounces)
- 32 ounces child bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 bottle dry purple wine (750 ml) equivalent to Pinot Noir, divided
- 2 kilos carrots scrubbed and lower diagonally into 3/4-inch slices (I go away the peels on)
- 2 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic about 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can reduced-sodium beef broth (15-ounces) divided, plus extra as wanted
- 6 sprigs contemporary thyme tied right into a bundle
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 10 to 12 ounces frozen pearl onions no have to thaw
- Chopped contemporary parsley for serving
- Toasted baguette slices for serving
Preheat the oven to 250 levels F. Be sure that to place the racks so that you could match a big Dutch oven inside with its lid on.
With paper towels, pat the meat dry. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
Warmth a big Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the bacon and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till the bacon is browned and starting to show crisp and the fats has rendered, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, take away the bacon to a big plate.
Add the mushrooms and 1 tablespoon butter to the pot. Stir to mix. Sauté over medium low till the mushrooms are properly browned and have given up their liquid, about 8 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir coat. Let cook dinner 30 extra seconds. Switch to a separate plate or bowl that’s separate from the bacon.
Improve the Dutch oven to medium-high warmth. Add a single layer of beef cubes (watch out the cubes don’t contact—you’ll have to work in batches) and sear till the meat is properly browned on all sides, about 3 to five minutes (you do not want to cook dinner it throughout). Take away to the plate with the bacon. Repeat with remaining beef (take your time right here and don’t overcrowd the pan. It’s price it!).
Fastidiously pour in about 1/4 of the bottle of wine. With a picket spoon, stir to scrape up any browned bits from the underside of the pot (the darkish stuff on the underside is taste!).
Scale back the warmth to medium. Add the carrots, onion slices, and the remaining 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Saute the onions and carrots till the onions are evenly browned, about 10 minutes, stirring sometimes.
Stir within the garlic and tomato paste and cook dinner for 30 seconds, till very aromatic.
Return the meat and bacon to the pot, together with any juices which have collected on the plate. Add the remaining wine and broth.
Add the thyme. Improve the warmth to carry the liquid to a simmer. Cowl, then fastidiously switch the pot to the oven. Bake the boeuf bourguignon for 1 hour and quarter-hour. The meat and greens ought to really feel fork-tender.
Place the pot again on the range. In a small bowl, mash the butter and flour along with a fork. Stir it into the stew.
Stir within the pearl onions and reserved mushrooms. Deliver the stew to a boil, then decrease the warmth and let simmer for quarter-hour. Take away the herb bundle. Style and alter salt and pepper as desired. Sprinkle with contemporary parsley. Serve scorching with toasted baguette slices for absorbing the broth.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm beef Bourguignon in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: As much as 1 day prematurely, lower the meat, bacon, carrots, onion, and garlic as directed. Retailer every individually within the fridge.
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 712kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 44gFats: 36gSaturated Fats: 15gPolyunsaturated Fats: 4gMonounsaturated Fats: 16gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 147mgPotassium: 2102mgFiber: 7gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 25503IUVitamin C: 18mgCalcium: 140mgIron: 5mg
Be a part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.