Dancer Pose is a good looking and iconic yoga pose that can problem each your physique and thoughts. This highly effective pose requires a particular mix of steadiness, flexibility and power. You’ll really feel each invigorated and grounded after working towards Dancer Pose.
Whereas on this pose, you’ll actively attain and press each ahead and again. This juxtaposed motion creates stress within the physique which helps to elongate the backbone, open the chest, and set up steadiness.
Dancer Pose requires steadiness, flexibility and power. You’ll really feel freedom and groundedness.
Though this pose appears to be like sleek and delightful in its fullest expression, you could really feel something however as you be taught the pose. Falling out of the pose isn’t unusual, even for skilled yoga practitioners.
So, don’t be stunned if you end up dancing round your mat as you attempt to discover your steadiness. As with all yoga postures, creating an ideal form isn’t the purpose, what issues is the method and expertise.
Dancer Pose at a Look
Sanskrit Identify: Natarajasana
Targets the Physique: Standing backbending posture that challenges steadiness and focus
Muscle Teams Concerned: Ankles, Legs, Hip flexors, Back and front physique core, Chest, Shoulders
Nuances: Gripping of the ankle from both inside or outdoors, Lifting chest up excessive or balancing with it parallel to floor like in Warrior 3 Pose
Right here’s The way to Entry Dancer Pose:
- Begin in Mountain Pose (Tadasana) dealing with the entrance of your mat
- Deliver your left hand to your hip
- Shift your weight into your left foot, urgent down evenly into the 4 corners of your foot whereas lifting gently via the arch
- As soon as you’re balanced in your left foot, bend your proper leg bringing your proper heel in direction of your glute
- Maintaining your hips sq. to the entrance of the mat, attain again together with your proper hand
- Seize the within of your proper ankle or foot, together with your thumb dealing with in direction of the ceiling
- Set up your Drishti (gaze) at a set level in entrance of you about eye stage
- Discover your steadiness right here earlier than shifting on
- Attain your left arm up in direction of the ceiling together with your palm dealing with ahead
- Inhale and lengthen via your physique from the heel of your left foot to the tip of your left fingers
- Along with your exhale, press your proper foot into your hand as you raise your foot up and again
- Your chest will naturally decrease as you raise your leg additional up behind you
- Raise up via your chest and broaden throughout your collarbones
- Your proper hip will raise as you come into the pose; work to maintain your hips as whilst attainable and pointing to the entrance of the mat
- Test in your standing leg to be sure you aren’t hyperextending via the knee. When you discover you’re, put a small bend in your left leg
- Stabilize by grounding down via your standing leg, whereas lifting up together with your chest and thru your proper leg
- If you need, you’ll be able to transfer your gaze to your left fingertips
- Take a number of full inhales and exhales whereas within the pose, discover a bit extra size and raise with every inhale
- To come back out of the pose, raise up your chest as you decrease your proper leg, gently launch your foot or ankle and return to Mountain Pose
Struggling to maintain your steadiness? These Are the three Professional Suggestions You Must Stick Balancing Poses
Able to Apply? Test Out Dancer Pose (And Extra Poses) Within the Studying Yoga Video Sequence
Make sure you try YA Lessons’ Studying Yoga collection, a complete workshop-style program that breaks down over 30 of the most typical, foundational yoga poses. Get began with this standing back-bending posture, Dancer Pose.
This pose is a serious physique strengthener. The ankles, knees, legs and again physique core are all toned throughout this pose. Whereas these areas are strengthened, the entrance of the physique, together with the chest, core, shoulders and hip flexors, are stretched and lengthened.
Dancer’s Pose is a posh standing posture. Along with the bodily advantages, it helps to extend focus and focus. With repeated follow it should assist to construct total steadiness each on and off the mat. All of those advantages work collectively to construct full physique coordination.
As soon as within the pose you’ll really feel a way of freedom and openness paired with grounding and power. With all these advantages, it’s no surprise why this pose is a standard favourite asana (yoga pose).
Because of the difficult nature of Dancer Pose there are some things to concentrate on earlier than making an attempt it. If in case you have a spinal, foot or ankle damage, this pose could place an excessive amount of pressure on these areas. Seek the advice of together with your physician earlier than making an attempt this pose for any of these situations.
When you’re having any form of inside ear or balancing challenges, this pose will not be your best option. Follow a less complicated pose like Tree Pose till your steadiness feels again to regular, or strive modifying with a wall or chair for help so that you don’t fall.
The way to Modify Dancer Pose:
There are a number of simple methods to change this pose. If you end up wobbling via your foot or ankle, strive stepping off your mat, notably when you have a thick one. Standing on a tough floor will assist floor and construct the pose on a strong basis.
For yoga practitioners with tight shoulders, reaching for the within of the again foot or ankle could create discomfort. Alter by grabbing the skin as a substitute.
When you’re struggling to keep up steadiness, discover a wall or chair to help you. Face the wall and place your left hand on the wall to present you one thing to press into. Or place a chair subsequent to you and relaxation your hand on the again of the chair for help.
If reaching to your ankle locations an excessive amount of stress in your shoulder, knee or decrease again, then use a yoga strap/belt to help. To get into the pose with a yoga strap:
- Safe the yoga strap round your proper ankle earlier than discovering Mountain Pose
- As you bend your proper foot in direction of your glute place the lengthy finish of your strap over your proper shoulder for straightforward entry
- As a substitute of reaching again to your proper ankle, seize the strap at any place that feels sustainable but nonetheless provides you entrance physique opening
- Proceed to carry onto the strap as you raise the remainder of the best way into Dancer’s Pose
A typical variation of Dancer Pose entails the peak and orientation of the higher physique. On this variation you hinge on the hip joint of your standing leg and decrease your chest till it’s parallel to the ground, like in Warrior 3 (Virabhadrasana III). Then as you prolong into the pose your foot will come overhead.
This adjustments the aesthetics, however not the operate or advantages of the pose. Strive each variations, you could discover steadiness simpler on one than the opposite.
Last Data and Suggestions for Dancer Pose:
Dristi is so necessary for this pose! In case your eyes begin to wander, your physique will too. Set a comfortable however decided gaze to keep up steadiness on this pose.
Though you may consider this as a balancing pose, it’s additionally a robust backbend. Use all of your backbending instruments to maintain your backbone protected and wholesome on this pose. Preserve size alongside your entire backbone to maintain compression out of the decrease again and use your core to help the backbend.
The pose is known as after Nataraja, one of many embodiments of Shiva in Hindu mythology. Referred to as Dancer Pose, the total translation is Lord or King of the Dance. On this type, Nataraja represents the cycle of cosmic dance that creates and destroys life and ages.
For the total story behind Nataraja learn The Symbolic Story Behind How Natarajasana (Dancer Pose) Obtained Its Identify
Just like the ages created and destroyed by Nataraja, our lives are crammed with patterns and cycles. A few of these are useful, and a few dangerous. Dancer Pose reminds us that none are everlasting and that with effort we are able to destroy the unfavorable outdated cycles to create one thing new and higher. The creation of one thing new in your life may simply lead you to bop with pleasure!